Academy - International Visits Program
What is the International Visits Program?
This program is an attractive benefit for IASSIDD members. Individual members from any country can arrange to visit an accredited community agency, university, hospital, etc. for a period of approximately two weeks of the purposes of learning.
What is a host organization?
Host organizations apply to the IASSIDD Academy and are accredited to host visits of individual IASSIDD members, typically for two weeks. Host organizations are invited to feature a IASSIDD host organization logo on their websites. Host organizations may also have employees visit other hosts. VIEW HOST ORGANIZATIONS
What will the visitor do?
The visitor engages in learning opportunities such as attending classes, accompanying a particular support worker on his/her daily work, taking part in consultations and meetings, assisting with research, or a combination of these types of things. Visits are typically for a two week period.
Who pays for what?
The visitor would be expected to cover his or her own travel and visitation costs, although the host organization may have some accommodation or other support to offer. This is a volunteer opportunity and no fees can be paid to either party.
Host Organizations: Apply to be an IASSIDD Academy accredited host organization.
More information: Ivan Brown, PhD, Director, IASSIDD Academy firstname.lastname@example.org
ROLE OF THE IASSIDD ACADEMY
The IASSIDD Academy shall:
1. Generate, maintain, and post on its website a list of accredited host organizations.
2. Accept applications from potential visitors, review the applications, and provide timely feedback.
3. If the application is approved, connect the visitor and the principal contact person within the host organization to arrange the specifics of the visit.
4. Be available to assist with the logistics of the visit, if required.
5. Keep a record of all applications, the outcomes of the review process, and the details of visits completed.
6. Except for the above, assume no responsibility for the visit, the visitor, or the host organization.
7. Not be held liable in any way for the visit, the visitor, or the host organization.
ROLE OF THE HOST ORGANIZATION
The Host Organization should normally:
1. Be a member of IASSIDD, or the employing organization of a member of IASSIDD who acts as the principal contact and host for the visit.
2. Apply for accreditation, and be accredited by, the assigned committee of the IASSIDD Academy.
3. Make known any housing or financial support that is available for the visitor.
4. Arrange with the visitor the specifics of the visit, usually through an assigned principal contact person from the host organization.
5. Not charge a fee for the visit.
6. Provide valuable learning experiences for the visitor, as agreed upon by both parties.
7. Involve the visitor in discussions, teaching, researcher or other activities, as agreed upon by both parties.
8. Complete a brief evaluation of the visit, and submit it to the assigned committee of the IASSIDD Academy.
9. Not be held liable in any way, including financial, for the visitor or the visit.
ROLE OF THE VISITOR
The Visitor should normally:
1. Be a member of IASSIDD.
2. Submit an application, along with a supporting letter from the employer, to the assigned committee of IASSIDD’s Academy.
3. Be approved for the visit by the assigned committee of the IASSIDD Academy.
4. Carry out the visit with an organization approved by the assigned committee of the IASSIDD Academy.
5. Be active in the field of intellectual disabilities as a support worker, manager, teacher, researcher, academic, or another appropriate field.
6. Arrange the specifics of the visit with the assigned principal contact person from the host organization.
7. Make the arrangements for travel and expenses to and from the country of the visit, including accommodation and living expenses while there and including health and travel insurance.
8. Be responsible for his/her own safety while travelling to and from, and visiting, the host organization.
9. Complete a brief report, and submit it to the assigned committee of the IASSIDD Academy.