Academy - Ivan Brown - Brief Bio & Brief CV
Ph.D. (Special Education, University of Toronto, Canada)
Ivan Brown, Ph.D. (Special Education) is Director of IASSIDD's Academy for Education, Teaching and Research, and an Adjunct Professor of Disability Studies at Brock University, Canada. He is an internationally recognized expert in numerous sub-fields of intellectual disability, with a particular focus on quality of life and family issues. Currently, he coordinates more than 25 family quality of life projects in various countries around the world, and is co-chair of IASSIDD's Quality of Life SIRG. Professor Brown has published widely in the academic literature and has written or edited eleven scholarly books. He was the founding editor of the Journal on Developmental Disabilities, and continued to serve for many years as its editor. He has been active in local disability organizations, and his work there has been recognized by several awards. Professor Brown has been an active presenter at scientific conferences, with more than 150 presentations and keynotes to his credit in the past 20 years. He has also presented several IASSIDD Academy workshops since 2009 (Ipoh, Malaysia; Singapore; St. Petersburg, Russia; Mexico City, Mexico; Tokyo, Japan; Hong Kong, China; and Vienna, Austria).
Academic: Adjunct Professor, Centre for Applied Disability Studies, Brock University, Ontario, Canada
Organizational: Director, IASSIDD Academy for Teaching, Learning, and Research
- Senior Researcher and Manager of twoÂ Research Centres, University of Toronto
- Associate Professor and Lecturer: Ryerson Polytechnic University, University of Toronto
- Elementary school teacher
Disability-related work completed in Canada and internationally:
- 3 Boards of Directors, disability organizations
- Numerous advisory and scientific committees, many chaired
- Numerous university courses taught (graduate and undergraduate; many student practicuums supervised
- Committee member and advisory to many community group activities related to intellectual disabilities
- Numerous thesis evaluations
- Numerous program reviews and promotion committees
- 154 journal articles peer reviewed
- Numerous research grants and projects
- 11 books
- 4 scholarly bibliographies and encylopedia entries
- 18 journal issues edited
- 16 questionnaires and scales published
- 57 peer-reviewed journal articles published
- 14 research reports to governments
- 54 book chapters
- 98 professional articles, book reviews, editorials, and other non-peer-reviewed scholarly writing
Key Publications since 2007:
- Fuchs, D., McKay, S., & Brown, I. (2012). Awakening the spirit: Voices from the prairies. Regina, SK: Canadian Plains Research Centre Press.
- Brown, I., & Percy, M. (2011). Developmental disabilities in Ontario (3rd ed.). Toronto, ON: Ontario Association on Developmental Disabilities.
- Léveillé, S., Trocmé, N., Brown, I., & Chamberland, C. (2011). Research-community partnerships in child welfare. Toronto, ON: Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare.
- McKay, S., Fuchs, D., & Brown, I. (Eds.) (2009). A Passion for action in child welfare: Voices from the Prairies. University of Regina, Regina, SK: Canadian Plains Research Centre Press.
- Brown, I., & Percy, M. (Eds.). (2007). A comprehensive guide to intellectual and developmental disabilities. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Brown, I., Chaze, F., Fuchs, D., Lafrance, J., McKay, S., & Prokop-Thomas, S. (Eds.). (2007). Putting a human face on child welfare: Voices from the prairies. Toronto, Canada: Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare / Prairie Child Welfare Consortium.
2 Scholarly Bibliographies and Enclycopedia Entries
- Brown, I. (2014). Care, residential. In A. C. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research (pp. 553-564). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
- Brown, R. I. & Brown, I. (2014). Family quality of life. In A. C. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research (pp. 2194-2202). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
- Rankin, J. C., Rioux, M. H., & Brown, I. (2011). Disabilities: Overview. Oxford Bibliographies Online, Oxford University Press, http://www.oup.com/online/us/obo/?view=usa
3 Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Brown, I., Hatton, C., & Emerson, E. (2013). Quality of life indicators for individuals with intellectual disabilities: Extending current practice. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 51(5), 316-332. doi: 10.1352/1934-9556-51.5.316
- Ho, E., James, N., Brown, I., Firkowska-Mankiewicz, A., Zasepa, E., Wolowicz, A., & Wapiennik, E. (2013). Family quality of life of Polish families with a member with intellectual disability. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 19(2), 36-42.
- Ajuwan, P. M., & Brown, I. (2012). Family quality of life in Nigeria. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(1), 61-70.
- Samuel, P. S., Rillotta, F., & Brown, I. (2012). Review: The development of family quality of life concepts and measures. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(1), 1-16.
- Bertelli, M., Bianco, A., Rossi, M., Scuticchio, D., & Brown, I. (2011). Relationship between individual quality of life and family quality of life for people with intellectual disability living in Italy. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 55(12), 1136-1150.
- Čagran, B., Schmidt, M., & Brown, I. (2011). Assessment of the quality of life in families with children who have intellectual and developmental disabilities in Slovenia. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 55(12), 1164-1175.
- Švraka, E., Loga, S., & Brown, I. (2011). Family quality of life: Adult school children with intellectual disabilities in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 55(12), 1115-1122.
- Bertelli M., Piva Merli M., Bianco A., Lassi S., La Malfa G., Placidi G.F., e Brown I. (2011). La batteria di strumenti per l'indagine della Qualità di Vita (BASIQ): Validazione dell'adattamento italiano del Quality of Life Instrument Package (QoL-IP). Giornale Italiano di Psicopatologia, 17(2), 205-212. [Bertelli M., Piva Merli M., Bianco A., Lassi S., La Malfa G., Placidi G.F.,and Brown I. (2011). A battery of instruments to assess Quality of Life (BASIQ): Validation of the Italian adaptation of the Quality of Life Instrument Package (QoL-IP). Italian Journal of Psychopathology, 17(2), 205-212.]
- Hassiotis, A., Brown, I., Brown, R, I., Favila, G., McConkey, R., Jokinen, N., & Lucchino, R. (2011). The IASSID Academy on education, teaching and research and the links with low and middle income countries: An international partnership. Journal of Policy & Practice in Intellectual Disability, 8(2), 134-138.
- Brown, I., & Brown, R. I. (2009). Choice as an aspect of quality of life for people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 6(1), 11-18. (Top 20 most downloaded for 2009)
- Brown, R. I., Schalock, R. L., & Brown, I. (2009). Quality of life: Its application to persons with intellectual disabilities an their families – introduction and overview. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 6(1), 2-6. (Top 10 most downloaded for 2009)
- Werner, S., Edwards, M., Baum, N., Brown, I., Brown, R. I. & Isaacs, B. J. (2009). Family quality of life among families with a member who has an intellectual disability: An exploratory examination of key domains and dimensions of the revised FQOL Survey. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 53(6), 501-511.
- Petrowski, N. T., Edwards, M., Isaacs, B. J., Baum, N., & Brown, I. (2008). Family quality of life: Preliminary analyses from an on-going project. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 14(2), 111-114.
- Brown, I., Ajuwon, P., Wang, M., & Vahakoupus, J. (2008). Is social inclusion always a good idea? [Editorial]. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 14(2), v-xii.
- Isaacs, B. J., Brown, I., Brown, R. I., Baum, N. T., Myerscough, T., Neikrug, S., Roth, D., Shearer, J., & Wang, M.(2007). Development of a family quality of life survey. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disability, 4(3), 177-185.