Parenting with Intellectual Disabilities Main
The Special Interest Research Group on Parents and Parenting with Intellectual Disabilities (SIRG/PID) was founded in 1996 at an international conference in Denmark which was organized by the Danish Ministry of Social Affairs and The EU Commission. The SIRG/PID was formally affiliated with IASSID in 2002.The mission of the Special Interest Research Group on Parents and Parenting with Intellectual Disabilities is:
- To create opportunities for international and multidisciplinary networking between individuals and organisations with an interest in the topic of parents and parenting with intellectual disabilities.
- To foster research and innovation that will advance knowledge and understanding of social
barriers and effective supports for persons with intellectual disabilities in the parenting role.
- To expose social and systemic discrimination against—and promote equalisation of opportunity for—parents with intellectual disabilities and their children, around the globe.
- To facilitate the translation of knowledge from research into policies and practices that support persons with intellectual disabilities in the parenting role and enhance their children’s life chances
Elections are now held every three years to appoint the SIRG/PID executive committee. Active members nominate and vote for members before every International IASSIDD Congress. The Chair represents the Parenting SIRG on IASSIDD Council.
Marjorie Aunos, PhD
Members for the Americas
- David McConnell, PhD
Professor and Director, Family and Disability Studies Initiative, University of Alberta, Canada
- Traci LaLiberte, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare, University of Minnesota, USA
Members for Europe
- Hanna Björg Sigurjónsdóttir, PhD
Assistant Professor and Assistant Director,Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Iceland
- Mikaela Starke
Associate Professor, Department of Social Work, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Members for Asia and the Pacific
- Susan Collings, PhD
Dr Susan Collings, Research Fellow, Institute of Open Adoption Studies, The University of Sydney, Australia
- Margaret Spencer, PhD
Lecturer (Social Work), Sydney School of Education and Social Work, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, The University of Sydney, Australia
- Iva Strnadová, PhD
Associate Professor, School of Education, UNSW Sydney, Australia
Members for Africa and the Middle East
There is currently no representation for Africa and the Middle East. Expressions of interest are welcome.
Marjorie Aunos, PhD