Welcome to the Down Syndrome Special Interest Research Group
Our SIRG welcomes and accommodates members from IASSIDD who are interested and involved in research and its application.
The special interest research group on Down syndrome exists to encourage research and the application of research in the field of Down syndrome while recognizing that many aspects of the research conducted in the field of Down syndrome will be in common with that focusing on other intellectual disabilities. The membership of the SIRG will encourage and develop planning and policy documents in relation to the needs of individuals with Down syndrome and their families worldwide. Co-ordination with other bodies interested in this field is encouraged and dissemination of knowledge based on scientific research and application will be a primary role.
- To provide a focus for the worldwide exchange and dissemination of research and application in relation to Down syndrome.
- To serve as a medium for discussion, exchange of ideas, development of knowledge and experience, which will result in the publication, and dissemination of information both at international and national levels in relation to practice in the field of Down syndrome.
- To promote, through research and application, the appropriate inclusion of persons with Down syndrome and their families in all relevant aspects of community living consistent with the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
- To provide a scientific basis for the assistance of professionals in the field working with individuals who have Down syndrome.
- The Down syndrome SIRG will focus on research development and its application and pay particular attention to countries represented in IASSID, and Down Syndrome International.
- Its focus in terms of research will include education, physical and mental health, all facets of development and inclusion of people with Down syndrome across their lifespan. This will include the issues of Down syndrome in the context of multiple diagnoses.
- It will be sensitive to the rights of people with Down syndrome and their families and address issues of discrimination internationally as well as nationally.
- Its aim will be to raise awareness of Down syndrome in member countries and promote development of effective practice based on research as well as highlight areas of concern in terms of Down syndrome.
- It will disseminate information about Down syndrome through appropriate journals as well as other publications, including materials that may be developed from time to time by the SIRG.
- It will be sensitive to the needs of people with Down syndrome and their families through the dissemination of research and applied knowledge
- It will carry out the above, particularly in needy communities, in concert with like minded organisations
- It will support the work of the IASSIDD Academy on education and training
- It will:
1) Provide a forum for discussion and synthesis of information about Down syndrome,
2) Encourage a review of research into Down syndrome,
3) Consider and encourage the application of research to practice,
4) Encourage development and exploration in relation to new research frontiers for both its members and other scientific communities concerned with Down syndrome.
Documents and Publications
Join Down Syndrome SIRG members on ResearchGate for further collaboration
Newsletter DS SIRG newsletter March 2017
IASSIDD members: included access to the Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities.
Special Issue on Down Syndrome: Volume 13, Issue 2
Manuel I Guerrero, PhD., &.
Roy I. Brown PhD, (Eds.)
English and Spanish versions
Chapter Authors :-
Manuel Guerrero, PhD.
Roy Brown, PhD.
Rhonda Faragher, PhD.
Karen Watchman, PhD.
Margaret Kyrkou, OAM, MBBS.
Robert L Schalock, PhD.
Miguel A Verdugo, PhD.
Garé G Fabila, PhDMr.
Raúl Campero, Photographic section.
Kindle Direct Publishing 2019
Paperback & Kindle
Sold through Amazon
2019 AGM and World Congress
Date: 6-9 August 2019
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK
2018 Down Syndrome Track, Europe Regional Congress
Date:18th-21st July, 2018
Location: Athens, Greece
2017 Down Syndrome Track, Asia Pacific Regional Congress
Date: 13-16th November, 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
2016 AGM and Congress – Research Roundtable Day – Down Syndrome Track in congress
Date: August, 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Research Day DS SIRG – in conjunction with the IASSIDD 2016 Congress
Sunday 14th August, 2016
Download the program here.
AGM (with pre and post AGM events)
Date: 7 November, 2013
Agenda: click here
- In view of opportunities provided by the Down conference in Rome and low enrollment in Tokyo of Down SIRG members our executive has elected to have the AGM in Rome on Thursday 7th November, followed by a meeting on Research and Practice relevant to Down syndrome.
- The SIRG Executive is interested in hearing proposals for projects (in progress or proposed) involving research and/or practice in Down syndrome (potentially co-operative projects, which could possibly be supported by other members or the SIRG as a whole).
Members interested in presenting a brief presentation and discussion may apply for Down SIRG Scholarships to assist with travel. If interested please send proposed title and very brief abstract to Roy brown along with name and professional or student status. The presentations should be 10-15 minutes followed by discussion.
- If applying for a travel scholarship please indicate needs, where traveling from and expected cost.
- There is no charge for the AGM and Research meeting for the 7th November for members of the Down SIRG but Euro10.00 for non-members.
- The Down AGM and Research meeting will be preceded by an Academy workshop on individual and family quality of life (Ivan Brown and Roy Brown). Down SIRG Members can register for this free of charge.
- This is an advance notice and we will send out the registration website as soon as available. The Down Syndrome SIRG is grateful to Dr Giorgio Albertini, one of our Down syndrome executive colleagues for providing these opportunities. Kind regards and hope to see you, Roy Brown Chair, Down SIRG
Date: 23 August, 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Time: 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
– Update on developments.
– Meetings including discussion of items for the Rome AGM including current budget.
– Development of research and applied projects relevant to Down syndrome.
– Other matters of interest to members
Date: 12 July, 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Time: 13:30 – 14:15
Representative to Council: Rhonda Faragher
|Vice Chair:||Monica Cuskellyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Past Chair:||Roy Brownemail@example.com|
|JPPID Associate Editor:||Jill Porterfirstname.lastname@example.org|