Welcome to the IASSIDD Families Special Interest Research Group page. The aim of the group is to promote the production and dissemination of high quality research that is relevant to the situation of families who support a person with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
To help achieve these aims we:
- guest edit special issues of scientific journals on research that is relevant to the situation of families who support a person with intellectual and developmental disabilities,
- organize symposia on family research at the World and Regional Congresses of IASSIDD,
- participate on the Council of IASSIDD to help ensure that the situation of families is addressed in IASSIDD activity,
- hold meetings and/or promote events for researchers involved in family research, primarily at conferences that typically attract family researchers
- have developed a ‘position paper’ that summarises current knowledge and propose an agenda for future research. This is available on our Documents and Publications page.
Documents and Publications
FAMILIES SUPPORTING A CHILD WITH INTELLECTUAL OR DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES: THE CURRENT STATE OF KNOWLEDGE
This IASSIDD Position Paper provides a concise authoritative summary of: (1) existing scientific knowledge regarding the situation, challenges and well-being of families that include a child with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities; and (2) priorities for future research. IASSIDD (www.iassidd.net) is the leading global organisation for researchers and research centres that seek to improve the understanding of and improve the lives of people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, their families and those who support them. The paper and the recommendations it contains have been developed through an iterative process led by IASSIDD’s Families Special Interest Research Group (SIRG). During this process, all members of the Families SIRG and all members of IASSIDD’s ruling Council have had opportunity to comment on drafts of this paper. The final Position Paper was adopted by the Council of IASSIDD on 9th July 2012.
This review paper has been published. The online early version is available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1468-3148/earlyview
The Family SIRG is offerings a limited number of scholarships (US$1000) to contribute to the cost of attending the 2014 IASSIDD Europe Congress
Families SIRG Scholarship for IASSIDD Europe Congress
The IASSIDD Europe Congress will be held in Vienna July 14-17. It is shaping up to be a tremendous event! Please note that the deadline for abstracts is fast approaching.
The families SIRG is offering a small number of scholarships (US$1000) to contribute to the cost of attending the Vienna conference. These grants are targeted to doctoral students and other early career researchers (e.g., recent graduates, post-doctoral fellows), applicants from low and middle income countries will be prioritized. If you would like to apply please send me a letter outlining your interest in the field and a copy of your abstract ([email protected]). Please pass this information on to anyone who you think may be eligible. The deadline is February 28th. Decisions will be made by the Executive soon after.
Best wishes for 2014,
Malin Broberg, Chair, Families SIRG
- NOVEMBER, 2013
The Family SIRG reveiw paper, Families Supporting a Child with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities: The Current State of Knowledge, has been published and can be viewed online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1468-3148/earlyview
SIRG Officers (until 2019)
- Chair: Sandy Magana· [email protected]
- Secretary/Treasurer: Robert Hock [email protected]
- Past Chair: Malin Broberg. [email protected]
- Student Representative: Shaquinta Richardson [email protected]
- Members at large