Three-day International Symposium: “Creating Better Life Quality for People with PIMD/CISN”
Coordinated by Profound Intellectual & Multiple Disabilities SIRG, Bea Maes, Chair
Coodinator: Angela Hassiotis
- An Integrated approach to health and wellbeing of people with intellectual developmental disabilities The Theotokos Project. Presenter: Yannis Papakonstadinou.
- Recent Advances in the diagnosis and management of Autism in routine care. Presenters: Caroline Richards & Evi Tagkouli.
- Understanding Down syndrome. Presenter: Angela Hassiotis.
- Mental illness in people with intellectual disabilities. Presenter: Angela Hassiotis.
- Sexuality – Enabling rights and choices. Presenters: Ian Hall & Niall O’Kane.
- Parent support and ID. Presenters: Robert Hock & Sarah Dababnah.
This successful 2-week course is sponsored by HoGent, Belgium. It provides training for disability professionals in Uganda.
Academy coordinator: Marco Lombardi
- Social work
- Support workers
- Evaluating needs of clients and professionals
Two speakers sponsored by the Academy to the annual conference of the Polish Association for Persons with Intellectual Disability.
|Website update||Update and reorganize website||Updating of material will continue.|
|Video and Media Resources||A website section has been added. Purpose: to make resources available free and without permissions for educational purposes to IASSIDD members and website visitors. A committee adjudicates submissions for professional merit and scientific content.||Goal: Add movies, books, video resources in 2018.|
|Short Educational materials from SIRGs and workshops or lectures||Brief summaries on video / ppt with sound from SIRGs, and from workshops or lectures presented.||
Goal: Add one piece from each SIRG
– Plan trainings with Doug Boer
– Plan video training with Michael Perlin
|Add 2 new Academy Partner Organizations||
Academy Partner Organizations sponsor at least one Academy event each calendar year.
|Plan 5 joint events with SIRGs||Joint training event or lecture|
|Administer and promote first year of International Visits Program||
Accredit at least 5 new organizations.
Arrange for up to 5 visits.
One visit complete: Simone Visentin
One visit planned: Nav
American Academy on Developmental Medicine and Dentistry
- Neurology and Developmental Disabilities: Assessment and Diagnosis. Presenter: Seth Keller
- Reducing Health Disparities and Implementing “Best Practices” in Health Care for People with Intellectual Disability. Presenters: Sarah Ailey, Tamar Heller
HoGent, Belgium and University of the Moon, Uganda
Chief Academy organizer: Marco Lombardi
Description: Two-week training course covering various topics on quality of care, family quality of life, types of supports to individuals and families, etc.
Sponsored by Professor Irwanto Irwanto, Dr. Alice Schippers, and the University of Jakarta
Description: Various topics in intellectual and other disabilities and quality of life
Presenters: Alice Schippers, Rhonda Faragher, Ruth Faragher, Ivan Brown
1. Special Olympics in the Asian context. – Simon Koh, Chanchai Kemkaew
2. Disasters and crisis management – Yayoi Kitamura, Chie Yoshimura, Takako Miura
3. Sexuality: Enabling rights and choices – Patsie Frawley, Yueh-Ching Chou
4. Inclusive eduction – Rhonda Faragher, Ben Law, Majda Schmidt
5. Recent advances in Autism – Sandy Magana, Naomi Ekas
6. Innovative research methods – Angela Hassiotis, Ivan Brown
Workshops sponsored by Disability Studies In Nederland
- Inclusive Research: Practices and beyond. Speakers: Tobias Büchner, Edurne Garcia Iriarte, Mei-Lin Yap, Margaret Turley, Fionn Angus. Moderator: Alice Schippers
- Living with Autism. Speakers: Mitzi Waltz, Damian Milton
|Website update||Update and reorganize website|
|Video and Media Resources||A website section has been added. Purpose: to make resources available free and without permissions for educational purposes to IASSIDD members and website visitors. A committee adjudicates submissions for professional merit and scientific content.|
|Short Educational materials from SIRGs and workshops or lectures||Brief summaries on video / ppt with sound from SIRGs, and from workshops or lectures presented.|
|Add 1 new Academy Partner Organizations||
Academy Partner Organizations sponsor at least one Academy event each calendar year.
|Initiate International Visits Program||
Set up website.
Accredit at least 5 organizations.
1. Transition to Retirement: A Guide to Inclusive Practice
Presenters and Affiliations: Roger J. Stancliffe, PhD, Professor of Intellectual Disability at the University of Sydney’s Centre for Disability Research and Policy, Sydney, Australia; Nathan J. Wilson, PhD, Senior Lecturer at the School of Nursing and Midwifery, Western Sydney University, Sydney, Australia.
2. Enhancing Quality of Life at Home and at School
Presenters and Affiliations: Roy Brown, PhD, Emeritus Professor University of Calgary, Canada and Flinders University, Australia. .Adjunct Professor Child and Youth Care University of Victoria, Canada; Rhonda Faragher, PhD, Faculty of Education and Arts, Australian Catholic University; Ivan Brown, PhD, Centre for Applied Disability Studies, Brock University, Canada
3. Social Media and People with Disabilities
Presenters and Affiliations: Susan Balandin, PhD, holds the Inaugural Chair in Disability and Inclusion at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia; Bronwyn Hemsley, PhD, is an Associate Professor and Discovery Early Career Researcher at the University of Newcastle, Australia
4. Understanding the Role of Epigenetics in Health and Disability
Presenters and Affiliations: Jozef Gecz, PhD, Professor of Human Genetics, Department of Paediatrics, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, The University of Adelaide, and Chair of Childhood Disability Prevention, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute, Adelaide, Australia; Jeff Craig, PhD, Associate Professor, Environmental and Genetic Epidemiology Research Group, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute, and Honorary Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Australia; W. Ted Brown, MD, PhD, Director, New York State Institute for Basic Research, New York, USA; Terry O’Brien, MD, FRACP, Head of the Department of Medicine, The Royal Melbourne and Western Hospital, at The University of Melbourne, and Head of the Epilepsy Program and Consultant Neurologist, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia.
5. People with Intellectual Disabilities as Suspects and Offenders
Presenters and Affiliations: Glynis Murphy, PhD, Professor of Clinical Psychology & Disability, Tizard Centre, University of Kent, UK; Jane McCarthy, MD, Consultant Psychiatrist, Forensic Directorate, East London NHS Foundation Trust and Visiting Senior Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, London, UK; George Woods, MD, Forensic Psychiatrist, International Academy of Law and Mental Health, USA; Peter Langdon, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Tizard Centre, University of Kent, UK
6. Assessing Risk for Sexually Inappropriate Behaviour: ARMIDILO-S, a New Tool
Presenter and Affiliation: Douglas Boer, PhD, is Professor of Clinical Psychology at the Centre for Applied Psychology, University of Canberra, Australia
7. Arts-Based Research: A Knowledge Translation Approach
Presenters and Affiliations: Angela Dew, PhD, Knowledge Translation Professional Certificate (University of Toronto, Canada), Research Fellow, Intellectual Disability Behaviour Support Program, School of Social Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences, UNSW Australia; Louisa Smith, PhD, Lecturer, Intellectual Disability Behaviour Support Program, School of Social Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences, UNSW Australia.
8. The Why, Where and How of an Inclusive Approach to Disability Research
Presenter and Affiliation: Patricia O’Brien, PhD, Professor of Disability Studies, Centre for Disability Studies (CDS), University of Sydney, with members of the CDS and other Inclusive Research networks
9. The Ins and Out of Writing and Publishing a Journal Article
Presenters and Affiliations: Susan Balandin, PhD, holds the Inaugural Chair in Disability and Inclusion at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. Immediate Past Editor: Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability; Glynis Murphy, PhD, Professor of Clinical Psychology & Disability, Tizard Centre, University of Kent, UK. Co-editor: Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities; Angela Hassiotis, MD, PhD, Professor of Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability, Division of Psychiatry, University College London Medical School, and Camden & Islington Foundation Trust. Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Research in Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities. Associate Editor: Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities
Down syndrome: Quality of Life for Individuals, a life span approach
Presenters and Affiliations: Roy Brown, PhD, Emeritus Professor University of Calgary, Canada and Flinders University, Australia. Adjunct Professor Child and Youth Care University of Victoria, Canada; Nancy Jokinen, PhD, Associate Professor, University of British Columbia, Canada
1. Quality of life for individuals and families who have children
with intellectual and developmental disabilities: Professional issues and involvement.
2. Quality of life for individuals and families who have children
with intellectual and developmental disabilities: Parent and personal issues.
Presenter and Affiliations: Roy Brown, PhD, Emeritus Professor University of Calgary, Canada and Flinders University, Australia. Adjunct Professor Child and Youth Care University of Victoria, Canada
1. Social media and intellectual disability
2. Mealtime management
Presenter and Affiliations: Susan Balandin, PhD, holds the Inaugural Chair in Disability and Inclusion at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. Immediate Past Editor: Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability
Lecture in conjunction with the International Conference on Special Education, Maria Grzegorzewska Academy of Special Education, Warsaw
Quality of Life, Social inclusion and Children with Disabilities
Lecturer: Ivan Brown, Centre for Applied Disability Studies, Brock University, Canada
13 short presentations (20 minutes each) by members of QOL and CPP SIRGs- Full day.
Quality of Life and Community Support
Two lectures in conjunction with 1-day conference of the Polish Association for People with Intellectual Disabilities.
1. Implementation of Article 27 of the U.N. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the field of supported employment in the world.
Lecturer: Dr. Fabrizio Fea, Associazione “Scuola Viva” onlus – Rome, Italy
2. The use of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) in Practice
Lecturer: Dr. Judith Hollenweger, Pädagogische Hochschule Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Series of four lectures, sponsored by Disability Studies Nederland, an Academy Partner Organization
1. Ethical issues in disability studies
2. Lifespan issues in disability studies
3. Humour and disability
4. Arts-based research in disability studies
Presenter: Ivan Brown, PhD, Canada
Series of lectures and consultations, sponsored by Communicad Down and Colegio Seltik-Mexico City
Policy and practice in education and society
Lecturer / Consultant: Roy Brown, PhD, Canada
Six half day workshops, pre-conference workshops, IASSIDD Americas Congress
1. Transition to school and inclusion in classrooms
Presenters : Rhonda Faragher, PhD, Australia; Judy Neilands, PhD, Australia
2. Transition from school to the adult work world
Presenter: Anthony Antosh, EdD, USA
3. Mental health needs of adults with ASD
Presenter: Jane McCarthy, MD, UK
4. Aging, dementia, and ID
Presenters: Mathew Janicki, PhD, USA; Seth Keller, PhD, USA; and Claudia Gaertner, PhD, Germany
5. Enhancing quality of life for individuals and families
Presenters: Ivan Brown, PhD, Canada; Luigi Croci, MD, Italy
6. Social media and people with ID
Presenters: Susan Balandin, PhD, Australia; Bronwyn Hemsley, PhD, Australia
Five series of lectures and workshops, as part of an International Disability Conference
1. Developing formidable linkages between health, education, and social welfare
Lecturer and workshop leader: Paul Adjuwon, PhD, USA
2. Early screening diagnosis — learning the signs
Lecturer and workshop leader: Leslie Rubin, PhD, USA
3. 1) Reproductive health for adolescents and young adults with disabilities;
2) Issues of discrimination against people with disabiliites; and
3) Master Class in health and disability
Lecturer and workshop leader: Hatim Omar, MD, USA
4. Dis/Ability and special needs in the education systems of Nigeria and Germany
Lecturer and workshop leader: Julia Bierman, PhD, UK
5. Creating an optimal service for Sub-Saharan Africa
Lecturer and workshop leader: Mo Eyeoyibo, MD, UK
One 3-hour workshop, in conjunction with a visit to Baby memorial Hospital
Enhancing quality of life in inclusive classroom settings
Presenter: Rhonda Faragher, PhD, Australia
Invited lecture, in conjunction with X Convegno Nazionale sulla Qualità della vita per le disabilità
Disability, families, and quality of life
Lecturer: Ivan Brown, PhD, Canada
One-day workshop, pre-conference workshop, European Association for Menatl Health and Intellectual Disability
Disability, families, and quality of life
Presenters: Jane McCarthy, MD, UK; Angela Hassiotis, MD, UK; Marco Bertelli, MD, Italy; Eddie Chaplin, MD, UK
Two one-day workshops; pre-conference workshops, Centre for Inclusion and Citizenship, University of British Columbia
1. Family well-being and quality of life: Challenges and recommendations
Presenters: Roy Brown, PhD, Canada; Ivan Brown, PhD, Canada
2. Aging with disability: coping and living with various age-related conditions
Presenters: Nancy Jokinen, PhD, Canada; Roy Brown, PhD, Canada; Ivan Brown, PhD, Canada
Two three-hour workshops, in conjunction with Down Syndrome Research Foundation conference
1. Education and quality of life: A family affair
Presenters: Rhonda Faragher, PhD, Australia; Roy Brown, PhD, Canada
2. Perspectives on models of community care for people with Down syndrome and dementia
Presenters: Sharon Russell, Canada; Diana Frizell, Canada; Nancy Jokinen, PhD, Canada; Lilian Thorpe, MD, Canada; Roy Brown, PhD, Canada
One full-day workshop, two half-day workshops, in conjunction with a visit to the Indian Institute for Cerebral Palsy
1. Ageing and cerebral palsy 2. Mealtime management
Presenter: Susan Balandin, PhD, Australia
Two one-hour lectures, to introduce a one-day conference on technology by the Polish Association for Persons with Mental Handicap
1. Quality of life for individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families
Lecturer: Alice Schippers, PhD, The Netherlands
2. New media enriching the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disability
Lecturer: Karen Bunning, PhD, UK