IASSIDD is in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO). We currently have an agreed work plan that covers six areas.
- Supporting the development of the mental health Gap Action Programme (mhGAP), especially in the area of intellectual disability. mhGAP aims to scale up services for mental, neurological and substance use disorders in low and middle income countries.
- Contributing to WHO work on estimation of Burden of Diseases in the area of intellectual disability.
- Supporting the production, dissemination and use of the World Report on Disability and Rehabilitation.
- Contributing to the revision of ICD-10 categories related to intellectual disability.
- Providing support for national and global efforts to promote health and rehabilitation for persons with disabilities.
- Providing relevant material to WHO in the area of intellectual disability and to disseminate WHO material to researchers in intellectual disability.
The first WHO/World Bank Group World Report on Disability was launched June 9, 2011 at the UN. Details and images are available at http://www.who.int/disabilities/world_report/2011/en/index.html
- several members of IASSIDD contributed to the report
- IASSIDD was represented at the launch by Phil Davidson
- IASSIDD will be supporting WHO in developing actions plans following the launch
Publications arising from our previous work with WHO on aging and intellectual disability are available at http://www.who.int/mental_health/resources/ageing/en/index.html.
Also, of direct interest to members of IASSIDD are the current WHO disease control priorities relating to intellectual disability http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2006/924156332X_eng.pdf.
Better Health, Better Lives – Research Priorities
This paper outlines the present situation and indicates the way forward for the priority areas identified in the European Declaration on Children and Young People with Intellectual Disabilities and their Families.
The Paper is available at this link.
To obtain more information on these WHO initiatives follow the above links.
To obtain more information on IASSIDD’s work in these areas please contact Eric Emerson.
World Report on Disability and Intellectual Disability
Presentation by Alana Officer at the 2013 IASSIDD World Congress in Tokyo, Japan